Post-Judgment Modifications

When a divorce or paternity case is finalized, it can bring a sense of relief to both former spouses. The details have been negotiated, and all that is left is just to start a new chapter as laid out by the divorce agreement. As with anything else, however, change is inevitable, and there are times when the divorce judgment may no longer be appropriate for all those involved, including children. In those cases, it can be possible to change the terms of a divorce with post-judgment modifications.

What Is a Post-Judgment Modification?

A post-judgment modification refers to the court's permanent action that changes a term of a previous judgment. These modifications can apply to virtually any aspect of a divorce (as well as paternity cases), but they are commonly associated with:

The burden in these cases is on the ex-spouse seeking the change. He or she must show there is a reason to modify the court's earlier decision. In Florida, the courts require two main elements for a modification to an agreement regarding children.

These are:

  • A significant and unanticipated change in the situation has occurred since the final judgment in the divorce.
  • A modification is in the best interest of the children.

Common Reasons to Seek a Post-Judgment Modification

As life goes on and things change, it's natural to seek a change to a divorce or parenting plan agreement modification. Many reasons may prompt a modification.

Some of the most common include:

  • A former spouse moves out of state.
  • A former spouse remarries.
  • A former spouse loses a job or begins a new job.
  • A child needs to change physically or emotionally.
  • A former spouse's health deteriorates through illness or addiction.

Enforcing the Judgment of the Court

Additionally, there are times when one ex-spouse refuses to follow the terms of the judgment. He or she may not pay child support, refuse to sign over property, or ignore visitation rules. In those frustrating cases, the court can compel the ex-spouse to comply. It may, however, require a return to court to identify the issues and prompt the change.

Suppose you have questions about modifying your time-sharing schedule, child support, or alimony. In that case, we invite you to contact us to schedule a consultation with an experienced Jacksonville divorce lawyer. At Florida Divorce Law Group, we practice family law throughout Florida, and we have consultation offices in Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami. We also have Zoom video meetings available, and of course, phone consultations.  

Secure Your Future: Reach Out to Us Today!

At Florida Divorce Law Group, we don't just offer legal advice; we offer peace of mind during challenging times. Specializing in areas like Uncontested Divorce, High-Net-Worth Divorce, Division of Assets, Alimony and its Modifications, Child Custody, Child Support, and Premarital Agreements, we ensure you're not just heard, but understood. Every question you have is important to us. Don't wait or wonder—reach out now for a complimentary consultation, and let's discuss your future, on your terms.